Friday, February 9, 2007

Andrew Molera - October 2006


October 2006

Andrew Molera, Big Sur
9 miles, 1100 elevation gain
Tara, Paula, Julie






This was Tara and Paula’s first hike with the group and their first hike in Big Sur. What a treat to share a place I love so much with them. I was so busy talking when we drove in that it wasn’t until I got to the River Inn that I realized I had driven right by Andrew Molera! It was a gorgeous day – blue skies. It was a bit of a climb up to the top of the ridge but we were rewarded with wonderful views of the coast.



We descended to my favorite beach – which is almost always deserted. I had forgotten my sarong (when have I EVER gone hiking without a sarong?) and in spite of another couple on the beach decided to get naked and into the surf. I know about Big Sur riptides, so I couldn’t get to deep – but the water was refreshing.

We were finished with our lunch when other hikers started arriving, so I got dressed and we headed out. I haven’t ever seen so many people on the trail. Don’t know if October is a popular time to hike Big Sur – you definitely get spectacular sunsets. We hiked back along the bluffs and came out at the beach. We decided to wade across the river rather than doubling back to the bridge. It was an easy crossing. I have pictures from the hike and will post them if I ever get them developed.


Lesson Learned: Always bring your sarong!

No comments: